To put it simply
• We are bound by the National Privacy Principles, as provided in the Privacy Act (Cth) 1988
• We do not sell or reveal your Personal Information to any other party other unless one of the following applies:
– you'd expect us to or we have told you we will (for example providing your shipping address to Australia Post for a delivery)
– it is required or authorised by law
– it will prevent or lessen a serious and imminent threat to somebody's life or health or
– the disclosure is reasonably necessary for law enforcement or for the protection of the public
• You have control over whether you want to receive email notifications from us
• We will not collect any Personal Information about you except when you knowingly provide it
• Your Personal Information is protected by your user name and password and our secure servers. When you give us your credit card details, they are encrypted for additional security
• Personal Information includes
• We use industry recognised 128 bit SSL encryption and security certificates provided by one of the world’s largest providers
• Payments are processed directly with Westpac through a secure link and not through a 3rd party
• To ensure ongoing privacy we recommend you change your password from time to time, and never give your password to anyone
• We endeavour to take all reasonable steps to keep secure any information, which we hold about you, and to keep this information accurate and up-to-date. Your information is stored in secure servers that are protected in secure facilities. However, we are not responsible for events arising from unauthorised access to your Personal Information.
• Please advise us immediately if there is any unauthorised use of your user name, password, profile or accounts by any other Internet user or any other breach of security.
Our Suggestions for Protecting Yourself
At Baby.com.au we dedicate a lot of our time and resources to online safety and we also know that shoppers need to be informed. Whilst many people get great results from shopping online, there are a few who fall victim to internet fraud. For this reason we have compiled a list of hints and tips to consider when purchasing online:
Know your online retailer - It is generally a good idea to be familiar with the name or reputation of the company you are dealing with. Shopping from a reputable retailer will save you a headache or two when purchasing goods or services and by familiarising yourself with website delivery and return policies as well as security and privacy statements you can almost guarantee a smooth online purchase.
Get The Details - Check for anticipated delivery dates, any shipping or handling costs, product warranties and other important information. Look for an email address to write to (or a phone number to call) if you have a question, a problem, or if you need help. Most reputable online retailers will offer some sort of email correspondence or customer care when purchasing via the internet.
Use a Credit Card & Safeguard your Password - By buying through registered companies using a credit card, you can avoid most problems as strong credit card policies are practiced and good systems of dispute resolution are widely used. Before entering your payment details, ensure there is a padlock or a key symbol, which are usually in the bottom corner of your screen that confirm you are entering your details in a secure environment. On a secure site, your information is scrambled into code, (encrypted) before being sent over the Internet, and stored on a secure database. By also keeping your passwords secret and not sharing them with other people you are safeguarding yourself from a lot of fraudulent activity. Choose a password that uses a combination of letters, numbers, and symbols and avoid choosing obvious words or dates such as a nickname or your birth date, as these are easier to crack. If you believe someone has learned your password you should change it immediately to avoid any possible risks.
Keep Good Records - Make sure to print or save electronically any records related to your online transactions. This will help you keep track of shipping dates, shipping and handling fees, and other details of your transactions. (Baby.com.au allows for an automatic email confirmation to be sent whenever someone orders something)
Medishift Pty Ltd ABN 60 097 148 206 trading as Baby.com.au (“Baby.com.au”) is an online retailer and is committed to protecting your privacy and developing a website that gives you an enjoyable and secure online experience.
Collecting Personal Information About You
• At Baby.com.au we only collect personal information that is necessary for us to conduct our business as an online provider of goods.
• The personal information we collect will include information you give us when you place an order for the purchase of a good we supply. We may also collect personal information about individuals who are not customers of our business, but whose personal information is given to us by those individuals or other people in the course of a transaction. This personal information will include your name, address and contact details, and may include other personal information about individuals we collect in the course of a transaction.
• We may also collect some information from you when you use our website www.baby.com.au. Your use of the information and services available through our website will determine the type of information that we collect about you.
• The only personal information that we collect about you when you use our website is what you tell us about yourself, for example, when you complete an online form when placing an order, or information you provide to us when you send us an email. Please note, we will record your email address if you send us an email. We reserve the right to include your email address as part of our email communications for which you can unsubscribe to if you choose.
Using and Disclosing Your Personal Information
• We respect your privacy. Any personal information that we collect about you will be used and disclosed by us so that we can provide you with the services that you have requested, or otherwise to enable us to carry out our business as suppliers of goods.
• Please be assured we will not disclose information about you unless the disclosure is required or authorised by law, you have consented to our disclosing the information about you, or for another purpose (related to the primary purpose of collecting that information) that you would reasonably expect. We may also use your personal information to provide you with information about other services and products offered by us. However, the only information that you must provide is your name and payment details (where applicable). If you would prefer not to receive promotional or other material from us, please let us know and we will respect your request.
• We may use or disclose your personal information to organisations outside Baby.com.au and its related companies (including organisations outside the Australian jurisdiction) and any related entities of Baby.com.au for purposes relating to the management of your account with us. Such organisations include:
- service providers who manage the services provided to you;
- mailing systems which organise delivery of the products you have purchased;
- maintenance and repair services;
- marketing activities conducted by Baby.com.au or any of our related companies; and
- our professional advisers, accountants, lawyers, auditors.
• We require these organisations to adhere to strict confidentiality about your personal information and also seek to ensure that they adhere to the National Privacy Principles.
• We may also use your personal information for research and development of our products or to send you information about other products and services, which we provide, which may be of interest to you.
• We do not engage in unsolicited telephone or email marketing. In particular, if you are contacted by telephone by an individual or organisation claiming to represent Baby.com.au - do not purchase from the organisation as we have a strict policy against telephone marketing.
Access to Your Personal Information
• In most cases you may have access to personal information that we hold about you. We will handle requests for access to your personal information in accordance with the National Privacy Principles.
• We encourage all requests for access to your personal information to be directed to the Privacy Officer by emailing us or by writing to us at our postal address. We will deal with all requests for access to personal information as quickly as possible. Requests for a large amount of information, or information which is not currently in use, may require further time before a response can be given. We may charge you a fee for access if a cost is incurred by us in order to retrieve your information, but in no case will we charge you a fee for your application for access.
• In some cases, we may refuse to give you access to personal information we hold about you. This includes, but is not limited to, circumstances where giving you access would: be unlawful (e.g., where a record which contains personal information about you is subject to a claim for legal professional privilege by one of our clients); have an unreasonable impact on other people's privacy; prejudice an investigation of unlawful activity.
• We will also refuse access where the personal information relates to existing or anticipated legal proceedings, and the information would not be accessible by the process of discovery in those proceedings. If we refuse to give you access we will provide you with reasons for our refusal.
Correcting Your Personal Information
• If you request us to do so we will amend any personal information about you held by us which is inaccurate, incomplete or out of date. If we disagree with your view about the accuracy, completeness or currency of a record of your personal information held by us, and you ask us to associate with that record a statement that you have a contrary view, we will take reasonable steps to do so.
Securing and Storing Your Personal Information
• We are committed to maintaining the confidentiality of the information that you provide us and we will take all reasonable precautions to protect your personal information from unauthorised use or alteration.
• In our business, personal information may be stored both electronically (on our computer system) and in hard-copy form. Firewalls, anti-virus software and email filters, as well as passwords, protect all our electronic information. Likewise, we take all necessary measures to ensure the security of hard-copy information.
How your personal information may be shared
- when requested by courts or by virtue of laws (for example, a Subpoena) or regulations or as required by a government agency;
- where we deem a customer may be engaged in fraudulent activity or other deceptive practices that a government agency should be made aware of; and/or
- to appropriate persons, where your communication suggests possible harm to others.
• We also use organisations to provide services on behalf of Baby.com.au from time to time such as cookies and other internet technology to manage our website and capture detailed information about how our users interact with our website and what pages they visit. Cookies and associated technologies collect mouse gestures and key press data. If you provide personal information to us on our website, this information will attach to the information cookies or other information technologies capture. The data is used by Baby.com.au and any other organisation that Baby.com.au engages to provide services on its behalf, to better understand and support our users.
• In the event that Baby.com.au contracts with a third party to provide some part of the information or service that you have requested, Baby.com.au may provide your information to such third party, or such third party may collect information from you, on our behalf. By agreement with Baby.com.au, these third parties are required to implement equivalent security measures and to process your information only as authorised by Baby.com.au to fulfill the service(s) that they have been contracted to provide. Otherwise, information you provide at the website www.baby.com.au will not be transferred to unrelated third parties, unless we have your express prior consent.
• The Baby.com.au website uses “cookies” to help you personalise your online experience. A cookie is a text file or a packet of information that is placed on your hard disk by a web page server to identify and interact more effectively with your computer.
• There are two types of cookies that may be used at the www.baby.com.au website: a persistent cookie and a session cookie. A persistent cookie gets entered by your web browser into the “Cookies” folder on your computer and remains in this “Cookies” folder after you close your browser. Persistent cookies may be used by your browser on subsequent visits to the site. A session cookie is held temporarily in your computer's memory and disappears after you close your browser or shut down your computer. The www.baby.com.au website may also use web "beacons" (also called "clear GIFs" or "pixel tags") in conjunction with cookies for the same reasons. Web beacons are small strings of code that are placed in a Web page.
• Cookies cannot be used to run programs. Cookies are uniquely assigned to you, and can only be read by a web server in the domain that issued the cookie to you.
• One of the primary purposes of cookies is to provide a convenience feature to save you time. The purpose of a cookie is to tell the web server that you have returned to a specific page. For example, if you personalise Baby.com.au pages, or register with the www.baby.com.au website or services, the cookie helps Baby.com.au record your specific information on subsequent visits. This simplifies the process of recording your personal information, such as billing addresses, shipping addresses, and so on. When you return to the same Baby.com.au website, information you previously provided can be retrieved, so you can easily use the Baby.com.au features that you customised.
• You can configure your internet browser (such as Microsoft Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, or Safari) to accept all cookies, reject all cookies or notify you when a cookie is sent. Please refer to your internet browsers instructions to learn more about these functions. Most web browsers automatically accept cookies, but you can usually modify your browser setting to decline cookies, if you prefer. If you choose to decline cookies, you may not be able to fully experience the interactive features of the Baby.com.au services or websites you visit.
Disposal of Personal Information
• Once your transaction is finalised, both the electronic and hard-copy information is securely archived. After a period of 7 years both the electronic and hard-copy information is destroyed.
For more information or to complain about a breach of your privacy
• If you would like more information about the way we manage personal information which we hold about you, or are concerned that we may have breached your privacy, please contact us by email, fax or post:
Post: The Privacy Officer, Baby.com.au, PO Box 296, Vaucluse NSW 2030
• If you require any further information about the Privacy Act and the National Privacy Principles, you can visit the Federal Privacy Commissioners website at www.privacy.gov.au